If you’re anxious traveller, don’t leave home without some soothing aromatherapy in your travel kit.
SOiL Organic Aromatherapy recommends the following essential oils:
Frankincense – great for jet lag, as it reduces stress, boosts the immune system, eases digestion, calms nerves and acts as a sleep aid. It’s also an astringent which can kill bacteria and germs.
Lavender – soothes headaches, aids sleep, promotes relaxation, boosts moods, and calms the mind.
Try adding 5 drops of frankincense and 5 drops of lavender to 20ml of carrier oil. This can be dabbed during the flight behind your ears, temples and pulse points for a calming and relaxing journey or add a few drops to your pillow
Peppermint – increases alertness and mental clarity, improves digestion, reduces stress, eases nausea, relieves headaches, boosts energy, and relieves muscle pain.
Peppermint is a good pick me up on landing and also when jet lag sluggishness occurs – use a few drops in an inhaler or on a tissue to inhale. Alternatively, add a drop of peppermint oil inside each shoe for a fresh and reviving step (or with a carrier and used in a foot soak on arrival)
Grapefruit – stimulates the brain, boosts energy, improves alertness and reduces stress.
Bergamot – clarifying, uplifting, calming, relieves stress, and improves mood
The above two can be used in a carrier with an oil burner / diffuser or blended for an uplifting aroma.
You might also like SOiL’s three remedy rollers, which have been specially formulated for travel:
Relax – for on the plane
Revive – on landing
Relief – for insect bites
New to the UK, SOiL Organic Aromatherapy was born from a passion to bring the health and balancing benefits of essential oils to homes across the globe.
The fertile soils and high rainfall of the family farm in Zululand, South Africa, combined with the rich local heritage of medicinal plants formed the perfect foundation from which to develop and refine their oils – known for their integrity, purity and traceability.
All 44 of SOiL’s essential oils are therapeutic grade.
A true essential oil is the volatile (readily vaporised) liquid component of aromatic plants and trees. They occur in different parts of the plant depending on the species of plant; leaves, flowers, seeds, bark, rind etc. These precious essences are commonly collected by a process of steam distillation of the plant material. Expression (pressing) of the fruit’s rind is the method that is used for citrus oils and certain fragile scented flower oils must be solvent extracted in order to capture their fragrances. Solvent extracted essential oils cannot be certified as organic as a result of the chemical solvents (such as petroleum and hexane) that are used during the extraction process.
Essential oils are the highly concentrated active ingredients of plants. They should always be diluted in a base before use and should not be taken internally without professional recommendation.
- Baths: Add 5 – 10 drops of essential oil(s) to a warm run bath. If skin is sensitive, blend the essential oil in a teaspoon of carrier oil first. Close the door so the vapours don’t escape. Soak for at least 10 minutes relaxing and breathing deeply. For added moisturising dilute the oils in 10ml of carrier before adding to the bath.
- Massage: add 5 – 6 drops of essential oil per 10ml of carrier oil. Mix thoroughly and apply liberally to the skin.
- Inhalations: Add 4 – 5 drops of essential oil to a bowl of steaming water. Place a towel over your head, close your eyes and lean over the bowl. Inhale the vapour for a few minutes.
- Burners and Diffusers: Fill the bowl of the burner/vaporiser with water and then add 3 – 6 drops of essential oil. Light the candle and the oil will evaporate as the water heats up. Do not let the bowl dry out.
- Compress: Recommended when the area is too painful to massage. Dip a towel or cloth in 4-5 drops of essential oil and 200ml hot or hold water and wring out. Cover the affected area with this compress. Then place a plastic wrap over this and a towel or blanket on top. Leave the compress on for 2-4 hours
SOiL aromatherapy products are certified organic by ECOCERT, France. The organic certification is issued by an independent third party (ECOCERT), who inspects our farming and processing facilities to ensure we meet strict organic requirements. Organic products are farmed and processed without the use of chemicals such as pesticides and fertilisers. This produces nutrient rich, fertile soil, which nourishes the plants by keeping chemicals off the land and protecting water quality, plant life and wildlife.
The hazards for human health of consuming products contaminated by harmful agricultural toxins like pesticides include; increased risks of cancer, reproductive problems and neurological damage. Organic farming ensures that the end product is free of many of the residual toxins that find their way into conventional natural products. Comforting to know when you consider that 60% of what you put onto your skin is absorbed into your body!