Covid-19 has been an extremely stressful time for many and while we’ve had to put a hold on much face-to-face contact over the past few months, ‘healthtech’ has shown its potential.
The MyCognition app has seen a 184% rise in downloads compared to March 2019, according to the NHS GoodThinking website. Three times as many women have been using the app than men – and particularly those over 50.
The app is NHS-approved and supported with clinical evidence to prove its success. In fact, a recent study from the University of Antwerp showed the beneficial impact MyCognition can have on women recovering from breast cancer, and what is commonly known as ‘Chemo brain’.
It’s said to improve your cognition – that is, your memory, concentration and focus through daily cognitive training, that in turns helps to improve your mental health, performance and quality of life.
“The pandemic has been an extremely worrying time for all of us but it’s reassuring to see so many people taking preventative action to improve their mental health before it’s too late,” says founder and CEO Keiron Sparrowhawk.
“The healthier our cognition is, the more resilient we are to stress and the better at controlling our response to trauma, injury or infections.”
Once you’ve completed your cognitive assessment (MyCQ), you download the AquaSnap app to do a daily, active meditation, which is personalised and adapted bespoke to your cognitive strengths and weaknesses.
The app focuses on the five core cognitive domains:
- Attention – concentrating on one task at a time, blocking distractions. This is especially topical in today’s society where we have so many forms of entertainment battling for our attention.
- Processing speed – speed and accuracy. Your ability to perform sequences of tasks with smoothness, accuracy and co-ordination.
- Episodic memory – your recall of past experiences and events.
- Working memory – calculations and problem solving – finding solutions to make decisions.
- Executive function – planning, organising, creativity and control of our emotions.
MyCognition apps are available to download from the app stores on any iOS and Android device.